The 28th Nicol-Brown Amateur Invitational
October 9, 2010
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
Albany, New York
Judge: Angus MacColl
Download a pdf of the 2010 program.
Overall Nicol-Brown Championship
- Robert Durning
Prizes: airfare to compete in London in November 2011, donated by the New Hampshire Highland Games in memory of Ruffin Hobbs; a set of RGH 04 bagpipes with a Peter Henderson blackwood chanter, donated by RG Hardie & Co, Ltd.; and a custom-made kilt donated by Sandy St. James (a 16-ounce, 8-yard kilt from his stock list of 400 tartans).
- Chris Lee
Prize: $200 scholarship donated by Fairlie M. Sharp in memory of her parents, Bob and Annie Brown.
- Glenn Walpole
Prize: $150 scholarship donated by Peter Kent in memory of his first piping teacher, Henry Hood.
- Marshall German
Prize: $100 scholarship donated by Rick Woolard in memory of Ronald Morrison of South Uist.
Robert Nicol-Robert Brown Chalice for Piobaireachd
- Robert Durning (“Lament for the Viscount of Dundee”)
Prizes: Bound Piobaireachd Society Collection donated by Doreen Forney in memory of Pipe Major Angus Macdonald; and a copy of The Cairn on the Hill CD donated by the Spicer family.
- Chris Lee (“The King’s Taxes”)
Prizes: Strathmore blackwood pipe chanter donated by The Piper’s Hut; and a copy of The Cairn on the Hill CD donated by the Spicer family.
- Marshall German (“Lament for Captain MacDougall”)
Prizes: Masters of Piobaireachd CDs, Vol. 9 & 10 donated by Greentrax Recordings, Ltd; Angus MacKay’s and Donald MacDonald’s books on CD-ROM donated by Ceol Sean CDs; and a copy of The Cairn on the Hill CD donated by the Spicer family.
- Glenn Walpole (“Maol Donn”)
Prizes: Masters of Piobaireachd CDs, Vol. 7 & 8 donated by Greentrax Recordings, Ltd; General Thomason’s Ceol Mor on CD-ROM donated by Ceol Sean CDs; and a copy of The Cairn on the Hill CD donated by the Spicer family.
- Ben Reid (“Too Long in this Condition”)
Prizes: David Glen’s Ancient Piobaireachd on CD-ROM donated by Ceol Sean CDs; and a copy of The Cairn on the Hill CD donated by the Spicer family.
William Ross Challenge Targe MSR Competition
- Glenn Walpole
(“Lochaber Gathering,” “Susan MacLeod,” and “Alick C. MacGregor”)
Prize: Bound Pipe Major W. Ross Collection donated by Doreen Forney in memory of Pipe Major Angus Macdonald.
- Robert Durning
(“Leaving Glenurquhart,” “Delvinside,” and “Broadford Bay”)
Prize: Pipers’ Choice blackwood practice chanter donated by Scott’s Highland Services, Ltd.
- Andrew Laird
(“Abercairney Highlanders,” “Lady Louden,” and “The Sheepwife”)
Prizes: Scots Guards, Volume 2 donated by Steve Porter; and Barry Shear’s book, Dance to the Piper, donated by Iain MacDonald.
- Dan Pisowloski
(“Dr. E.G. MacKinnon,” “Lady MacKenzie of Gairloch,” and “Mrs. MacPherson of Inveran”)
Prize: Scots Guards, Volume 1 donated by Steve Porter.
- Ben Reid
(“John MacColl's March to Kilbowie Cottage,” “Cabar Feidh,” and “The Cockerel in the Creel”)
Prize: The Bagpipe Music of John MacColl 1860-1943 donated by JoAnn Scott.
Donald MacLeod Memorial 6/8 March Competition
- Chris Lee (“Miss Ishbel T. MacDonald” and “Mrs. Melody Piper”)
Prizes: The Donald MacLeod Memorial Silver Buckle created by Stephen Walker of Walker Metalsmiths and a copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
- Marshall German (“Nameless” (by Donald MacLeod) and “Caverhill”)
Prizes: David Glen’s Collection of Highland Bagpipe Music on CD-ROM donated by Ceol Sean CDs; and a copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
- Andrew Laird (“Cameron MacFadyen” and “Dr. Ross’s 50th Welcome to the Argyllshire Gathering”)
Prizes: The Edcath Collection on CD-ROM donated by Ceol Sean CDs; and a copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
- Myles Stewart (“Heights of Cassino” and “Frank Thompson”)
Prizes: The Cowal Collection on CD-ROM donated by Ceol Sean CDs; and a copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
- Elliot Smith (“Jean Mauchline” and “Jimmy McIntosh, MBE”)
Prize: A copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
Dress and Deportment
(judged by Eric MacNeill)
- Andrew Laird
Prize: A Red Hot Chili Pipers DVD and a $50 gift certificate, both donated by Celtic Outfitters LLC.
Pipers from the top Amateur levels for both Piobaireachd and Light Music have been invited to compete at the Nicol-Brown Contest. Invitations are based each year on competitive results and rankings in the pipers’ home associations, as well as in national and international contests that show the highest standards of amateur piping.
- BOBBY DURNING (Haverhill, Massachusetts)
Tied for 2nd overall in EUSPBA Season Standings as of September 13; 2010 Gilchrist Challenge Champion; 2010 Metro Cup Amateur Champion; 1st in MSR at 2010 US Piping Foundation; and winner of 2010 CLASP contest in Glasgow.
- MARSHALL GERMAN (Corona, California)
Leader of the 2010 Grade 1 Season Championship for WUSPBA as of August 9; Piper of the Day at 2010 Pleasanton Games; 2nd in Piobaireachd at 2010 USPF.
- ANDREW LAIRD (Winnipeg, Manitoba)
1st in Piobaireachd at the 2010 BC Indoor; 1st in 2/4 March and Strathspey/Reel at Maxville, Ontario.
- CHRIS LEE (Halifax, Nova Scotia and Hong Kong)
Multiple prizes at Maxville and in Atlantic Canada in 2009 and 2010.
- DANIEL PISOWLOSKI (Canterbury, Connecticut)
1st overall and 1st in Piobaireachd in 2010 EUSPBA Grade 1 Season Standings with results through September 13; Piper of the Day at the 2011 New Hampshire Highland Games.
- BEN REID (Toronto, Ontario)
2nd overall in 2010 PPBSO Champion Supreme standings.
- ELLIOT SMITH (Batesville, Arkansas)
Tied for 2nd overall in EUSPBA Season Standings as of September 13; 2010 Maxville Piobaireachd winner.
- MYLES STEWART (Vancouver, British Columbia)
2010 BC Pipers' Association Grand Aggregate Champion.
- GLENN WALPOLE (Tiverton, Ontario)
2010 PPBSO Champion Supreme in Piobaireachd and Light Music; 2010 Maxville Piobaireachd winner.
Also invited, but unable to attend:
- ANTHONY MASTERSON (Houston, Texas)
2009 Nicol-Brown Champion.
The 2010 Nicol-Brown Contest, Concert, and Workshops were made possible by the following volunteers, donors and sponsors who have been generous in their support of amateur piping:
- Sean Ball
- Marsha Bell
- Celtic Hall
- Celtic Outfitters LLC
- Ceol Sean CDs
- Ian Coletti
- Andrew and Stephanie Douglas
- Bruce and Betsy Douglas
- Tom and Robin Finnell
- Charlie and Paula Glendinning
- Jeffrey, Cindy and Adam Green
- Greentrax Recordings, Ltd.
- Scott and Donna Hanks
- R.G. Hardie & Co., Ltd.
- Invermark College of Piping and Drumming
- Marilyn LeHuray
- Iain MacDonald
- Eric MacNeill
- Gary and Willene McBride
- Erin and Barb McCarthy
- The McClamrock family
- Bobby Minnear
- The New Hampshire Highland Games
- Northeast Branch, EUSPBA
- Eric Ouellette, Chief Steward
- Dan Parsons
- Michael Philbin
- The Piper’s Hut
- pipes|drums Magazine
- Steve Porter
- The Prout Printers, Inc.
- St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
- Sandy St. James
- Michael Schoppe, Assistant Chief Steward
- Scotia-Glenville Pipe Band
- JoAnn Scott
- Scott’s Highland Services, Ltd.
- Simon Fraser University Pipe Band
- Jane, Jim, Calum and Graham Spicer
- Frank Strauss
- Brian Turner
- United States Piping Foundation
- Stephen Walker
- Doreen Forney’s donation was given in memory of P/M Angus Macdonald.
- Peter Kent’s donation was given in memory of his first teacher, Henry G. Hood.
- Al McMullin’s donation was given in honor of his father, MSG Albert L. McMullin.
- Fairlie M. Sharp’s donation was given in memory of her parents, Bob and Annie Brown.
- Nancy Tunnicliffe’s donation was given in memory of her student and friend, Janet Milley.
- Rick Woolard’s donation was given in memory of Ronald Morrison of South Uist.
Please contact one of the committee members if you would like to donate a prize for next year, or click here if you would like to donate cash to sponsor a scholarship or to help with the expenses of the Nicol-Brown.
The 2010 Nicol-Brown Chalice Committee
- Maureen Connor
- Betsy Douglas
- Paula Glendinning
- Donna Hanks
- Donald F. Lindsay
- Barbara McCarthy
- Eric Ouellette
- Heather Scott
- JoAnn Scott
- Mary White