The 30th Nicol-Brown Amateur Invitational
October 6, 2012
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
Albany, New York
Judges: Willie McCallum, Nancy Tunnicliffe, and Paula Glendinning
Download a pdf of the 2012 program.
2012 photos are available from Weatherly Images.
Overall Nicol-Brown Championship
- Alexander Schiele
Prize: airfare to compete in London in November 2013, donated by the New Hampshire Highland Games in memory of Ruffin Hobbs.
- Jamie Kubasiewicz
Prize: $200 piping scholarship donated by Fairlie M. Sharp in memory of her parents, Bob and Annie Brown.
- Joseph Stewart
Prize: $200 piping scholarship donated by Doreen Forney in memory of P/M Angus Macdonald.
- Nicholas Theriault
Prize: $200 piping scholarship donated by Peter Kent in memory of Joan Fitch.
Robert Nicol-Robert Brown Chalice for Piobaireachd
- Alexander Schiele (“The King’s Taxes”)
Prize: A bound Piobaireachd Society Collection donated by The Piper’s Hut.
- Jamie Kubasiewicz (“The MacLeods’ Salute”)
Prize: A McCallum blackwood practice chanter with a deluxe hardshell case donated by Henderson Imports.
- Nicholas Theriault (“Lament for the Viscount of Dundee”)
Prizes: A Pipetech Tuner donated by The Piper’s Dojo, and a Front Row Seat CD donated by Bruce Gandy.
- Dylan Whittemore (“Black Donald’s March”)
Prizes: A Piper Case, AdjustiStick blowpipe, and a tshirt donated by R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd..
- Kirk Brunson (“Lament for Donald of Laggan”)
Prizes: A 6-month premium membership donated by Dojo University; and General Thomason’s Ceol Mor on CD and Donald MacDonald’s book on CD, donated by Ceol Sean CDs.
William Ross Challenge Targe MSR Competition
- Alexander Schiele (“The Knightswood Ceilidh,” “The Islay Ball” and “The Grey Bob”)
Prize: An McC2 blackwood pipe chanter donated by McCallum Bagpipes.
- Jamie Kubasiewicz (“The Abercairney Highlanders,” “John Roy Stewart” and “Ca’ the Ewes”)
Prizes: A Peter Henderson blackwood pipe chanter and a baseball cap donated by R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd..
- Joseph Stewart (“The Abercairney Highlanders,” “The Shepherd's Crook” and “The Brown Haired Maid”)
Prize: Scots Guards, Volume 3 donated by Scott’s Highland Services, Ltd.
- Daniel Pisowloski (“The Glengarry Gathering,” “Dora MacLeod” and “Miss Proud”)
Prize: Scots Guards, Volume 2 donated by Doreen Forney in memory of P/M Angus Macdonald.
- Callum Harper (“The Pap of Glencoe,” “Doune of Invernochty” and “Neil Angus MacDonald”)
Prize: Scots Guards, Volume 1 donated by Doreen Forney in memory of P/M Angus Macdonald.
Donald MacLeod Memorial 6/8 March Competition
- Joseph Stewart (“Ellenorr” and “Dornkop”)
Prizes: The Donald MacLeod Memorial Silver Buckle created and donated by Stephen Walker of Walker Metalsmiths, and a copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
- Andrew Donlon (“The British Legion” and “The MacNeils of Ugadale”)
Prizes: A Bound Donald MacLeod Collection donated by Steve Porter, and a copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
- Nicholas Theriault (“Donald MacLean of Lewis” and “John D. Burgess”)
Prizes: Bruce Gandy’s Contemporary and Traditional Music, Vol. 2 and The Piping Centre Recital Series CD, Vol. 4 donated by Celtic Outfitters LLC; and a copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
- Callum Harper (“Bengullion” and “Miss Ishabel T. MacDonald”)
Prizes: Philharmonic by Murray Blair donated by Celtic Outfitters LLC; and a copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
- Alexander Schiele (“MacLeod of Mull” and “Invercharron Highland Gathering”)
Prizes: The Glendinning Collection donated by Charlie and Paula Glendinning; and a copy of Along the Road donated by Iain MacDonald.
Dress and Deportment
(judged by Eric MacNeill)
- Joseph Stewart
Prize: A hand-crafted cherry pipe case from Rad Pipers donated by David Rennie.
Invitations to the Nicol-Brown Competition each year are based on competitive results and overall rankings in the pipers’ home associations, as well as in national and international contests that show the highest standards of amateur piping for Piobaireachd and Light Music. Competitors pay their own way to the contest in Albany, or are helped with their travel expenses by their own sponsors and patrons.
- KIRK BRUNSON (Derry, New Hampshire)
2012 US Piping Foundation Grade 1 Champion, winning First Place in both events.
- ANDREW DONLON (Germantown, Maryland)
First Place out of 72 pipers in EUSPBA Grade 1 Season Standings as of September 4, 2012.
- CALLUM HARPER (Bolton, Ontario)
2012 Champion Supreme in PPBSO Grade 1 Light Music and Senior Amateur Piobaireachd; 2012 winner of Piobaireachd, Jig, and March events at Maxville, Ontario.
- JAMIE KUBASIEWICZ (Winnipeg, Manitoba)
2012 Grade 1 Champion at Winnipeg Scottish Festival, Riverwalk Highland Gathering, and Manitoba Highland Gathering; 2012 winner of Piobaireachd, Jig, and Strathspey/Reel events at Maxville, Ontario; and 2nd Place in Under-18 Piobaireachd at 2012 Cowal Highland Gathering.
- DAN PISOWLOSKI (Canterbury, Connecticut)
2012 Robert Gilchrist Challenge winner at EUSPBA Midatlantic Branch Workshop; Third Place out of 72 pipers in EUSPBA Grade 1 Season Standings as of September 4, 2012; and Grade 1 Piper of the Day at the New Hampshire Highland Games.
- ALEXANDER SCHIELE (Snohomish, Washington)
2012 BC Pipers’ Association Grade 1 Grand Aggregate Champion; Finalist at the 2012 MacGregor Memorial Piobaireachd Contest in Oban, Scotland; and winner of Under-18 Piobaireachd and MSR at 2012 Cowal Highland Gathering.
- SARAH SIMPSON (Cavendish, Prince Edward Island)
2012 Amateur Grade 1 Champion Supreme for Atlantic Canada; Winner of the 2012 Atlantic Canada Silver Medal Amateur Grade 1 Piobaireachd Challenge; Grade 1 Piper of the Day at the 2012 Antigonish Highland Games.
- JOSEPH STEWART (Seattle, Washington)
2011 Nicol-Brown Champion, and 2nd Place in 2012 BC Pipers’ Association Grade 1 Grand Aggregate standings.
- NICHOLAS THERIAULT (Danville, California)
2012 WUSPBA Grade 1 Champion; 2012 Grade 1 Aggregate Champion at the Las Vegas Highland Games, the Costa Mesa Games and the Pleasanton Highland Games.
- DYLAN WHITTEMORE (Kitchener, Ontario)
2nd Place overall in combined PPBSO Grade 1 Light Music and Senior Amateur Piobaireachd standings for 2012; Grade 1 Piper of the Day at the Ligonier Highland Games.
Invited but unable to attend:
- CHRISTOPHER FARRUGGIA (River Forest, Illinois)
2012 MWPBA Amateur Grade 1 Champion Supreme. (At University in Scotland.)
- SEAN POYNTZ (Miami, Florida)
Second Place out of 72 pipers in EUSPBA Grade 1 Season Standings as of September 4, 2012. (At University in England.)
The 2012 Nicol-Brown Contest, Concert, and Workshops were made possible by the efforts of many volunteers, donors and sponsors who have been generous in their support of amateur piping, including:
- Alex Allendorph, Steward
- Anonymous Friends of the Nicol-Brown
- Celtic Hall
- Celtic Outfitters LLC
- Ceol Sean CDs
- Ian Coletti
- Maureen Connor
- Bruce and Betsy Douglas
- Eastern United States Pipe Band Association
- Doreen Forney
- Charlie and Paula Glendinning
- Carole Hackett
- Christina Hanks
- R.G. Hardie & Co. Ltd.
- Henderson Imports
- Adam Holdaway
- Peter Kent
- Iain MacDonald
- Eric MacNeill, Dress and Deportment Judge
- McCallum Bagpipes
- Barb and Erin McCarthy
- The McClamrock family
- Charles McKee
- Bobby Minnear
- The New Hampshire Highland Games
- Dan Parsons, Steward
- Gordie Peters
- The Piper’s Dojo
- The Piper’s Hut
- pipes|drums Magazine
- Steve Porter
- The Prout Printers, Inc.
- David Rennie
- Alexandra Richards
- Bonnie Rideout
- Roofing Innovations, LLC
- Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church
- Michael Schoppe, Chief Steward
- Scotia-Glenville Pipe Band
- Scott’s Highland Services, Ltd.
- Fairlie M. Sharp
- Simon Fraser University Pipe Band
- Jane, Jim, Calum, and Graham Spicer
- Frank Strauss
- United States Piping Foundation
- Stephen Walker of Walker Metalsmiths
- Rick Woolard
- An anonymous donation was given in honor of all the parents who have encouraged their children to play the bagpipes.
- Doreen Forney’s donation was dedicated to the memory of P/M Angus Macdonald.
- Peter Kent's donation was dedicated to the memory of Joan Fitch.
- The donation toward the trip to London was given by the New Hampshire Highland Games in memory of Ruffin Hobbs.
- Fairlie M. Sharp’s donation was given in memory of her parents, Bob and Annie Brown.
- Rick Woolard’s donation was dedicated to the memory of Ronald Morrison of South Uist.
Please contact Paula Glendinning at 301-774-3154, or speak to one of the other committee members if you would like to donate a prize for next year, or click here if you would like to donate cash to sponsor a scholarship or to help with the expenses of the Nicol-Brown. We are happy to designate your gift with a dedication in honor or in memory of someone. Please let us know if you would like us to add a link or a dedication to your donation on this page.
The 2012 Nicol-Brown Chalice Committee
- Maureen Connor
- Betsy Douglas
- Paula Glendinning
- Donna Hanks
- June Hanley
- Donald F. Lindsay
- Barbara McCarthy
- Eric Ouellette
- JoAnn Scott
- Heather Scott-Wisehart
- Mary Robinson White